The holidays are upon us, and if you find yourself with your house on the market, you’ll want to make that first impression a great one as potential buyers come in and out of your holiday bungalow.
Five things you should do include:
1. Clear the clutter. This is important whether it’s during the holidays or during your kids’ summer vacation. Clear counters and closets. Don’t let furniture overtake a room. Don’t let knickknacks have a life of their own. While your beloved snowman collection brings a smile to your face, it could be off-putting to others.
2. Decorate tastefully. Yes, you can let your house show its holiday spirit, but keep it simple and low-key. A tree, some clear lights here and there, vases filled with holly, pine garland on staircases … tasteful and simple.
3. Let it SMELL like the holidays. If you know your house is going to be shown on a particular day, or your Realtor is holding an open house, let the holiday senses take over. Bake sugar cookies, gingerbread, or anything with cinnamon. A delicious-smelling home is always welcoming and goes a long way in that first impression.
4. Create great curb appeal. Mow your lawn, clean up the fall leaves, trim the bushes, clear the walk way, clean (or even paint or stain) your front door, and hang a beautiful wreath.
5. Get the advice of a Realtor. If you have any questions or concerns at all, I can help you out!